Saturday, December 10, 2016

Christmas Party Outfits

Anyone who knows me knows that I agonize over what to wear to basically everything. I will text people to ask what the are wearing and sometimes even ask for more specifics. "Jeans and a nice top" is basically the lady uniform of parties btw. "Nice top" also has a million meanings.

My current dilemma is crop tops. I am totally obsessed with them. I think they look super cute, and they are a cool highlight of an outfit. How many times can I wear the same sweater to a Christmas party?! The dilemma part is how nervous I am about what people think of me in one.

Let's get the most obvious one out of the way - are people going to say I am not skinny enough to wear a crop top? I've seen it a million times before in real life, on social media, and movies/TV - someone has a crop top on and for some reason, everyone seems to think they are entitled to have an opinion on it. An outfit that shows skin somehow turns everyone into Michael Kors on Project Runway 💖.

My next question is am I going to get judged because people think I'm too old to wear a crop top. While I do remember people wearing crop tops in the 90s, I was born in 1985. I wasn't an adult for the duration of the 90s. There are so many lists of things women need to give up after 30. Don't worry - the crop top shade there is real! I don't know if I am supposed to start dressing like I am a Victorian lady in waiting or what.

The last one I think of is "Is this appropriate for this group?" Like, I am concerned about which group of people I wear crop tops around. I'm not even talking like family or coworkers (...if I had them...). I will be thinking of the group of people and wondering if this is a group of people who would throw shade at crop tops or if everyone else is going to be wearing dresses while I dress like a 90s extra.

I know the answers to those questions: anyone can wear a crop top who wants to, clothing and I don't have an expiration date, and I don't hang out with jerks who would do that for serious. Instead of realizing that I know the answers to all of my thoughts already, I end up trying on almost everything in my closet before going back to the first outfit I wear.

I feel like this is supposed to have a conclusion and not just be about how I over-analyze everything. Hm...for this specific dilemma, I have decided that Christmas parties and crop tops go together like cocoa and peppermint schnapps - both necessary and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment