Thursday, October 5, 2017

What to even say about the Vegas terror attacks?

I started and deleted a few posts about this.

I don't even know what to say anymore.

A homegrown white male terrorist fired into a country music festival, killed 58, and wounded 427 (those were the counts when I got home from work today). There are reports he was firing at some kind of tank to try to cause more death.

When are people going to act?

I'm so goddamn sick of people asking what can we do to stop this. The obvious answer is to pass some sensible fucking gun laws.

But we won't do that.

Instead, people will send thoughts and prayers, change their profile pictures, and use hashtags. I know I do all those things (except the prayers. I don't wanna lie to people!). But it isn't enough.

It's easy to fall into complacency. That we are all just waiting for the next tragedy. We couldn't change gun laws after a terrorist shot up a school! Why even bother trying?

The only thing we can do is try. Call our government when they support the NRA. Call out people who say stupid shit. Call these people terrorists because that is what they are.

Obviously not everyone who owns a firearm is irresponsible. I live in Western PA - people love their guns. Even I have fired one! But I would never own one. I couldn't be trusted to be safe with one.

What happened in Vegas is a tragedy. A terrorist went after innocent people. We shouldn't let it happen again. But we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment