Sunday, October 2, 2016

Election, sexism, and zombies

Is anyone else rooting for a zombie apocalypse? Serious question.

In case this isn't totally clear, I am 100% liberal. Never voted for a Republican in my life. I do vote for each person individually (not just the straight Democratic ticket), but I have never even been tempted to vote for a Republican. I registered as a Democrat when I turned 18 and have never looked back.

I like Hillary. I liked her in 2008. She's strong. Can you imagine having people say the things about you that they say about Hillary? The way the media and the Republicans pick on what she wears, how her hair is, and literally everything about her as a person? She hasn't fought back on the same level - more of that "living well is the best revenge" stuff. It would be incredibly easy to attack Donald on the level he does to her.

But that isn't the kind of person who should be running the country. The "tells it likes it is" insanity of Donald is terrible for someone actually in charge of anything. It's like if I ran for President - horrible idea. Sometimes I talk first and think later. That isn't great for diplomacy. Donald has found his niche as a racist, sexist, homophobic demagogue who is trying to destroy American. His version of making America great again is making it great for white, Christian, heterosexual males. Not for anyone else.

The only positive out of all the sexism is that it is making other people realize sexism still exists. I worked in insurance, I'm wildly familiar with sexism. When it's institutional, it can be hard to explain. I have definitely found it hard to explain. Men often think that I'm reading too much into something or attributing things to sexism when that's not the case. Until a lot of men heard how Donald talks about and treats Hillary, they thought this kind of sexism was a thing of the past. The era of Mad Men is not over.

No matter how this turns out, American is screwed up. If Donald wins, I don't know if we will ever have another election. That hypothetical "what would you have done if you were in Germany when Hitler was coming to power" is what we are dealing with now. We are watching a dangerous man blame our country's problems on a specific group of people. If Hillary wins, we will be treated to at least 4 (hopefully 8!) years of the most blatant sexism we can imagine. The racism will probably die down a little bit (yay?), but it isn't going to be pretty. The Donald supporters will still live in America - we will know that a huge chunk of the population thinks that he right.


Zombies anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment