Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Old Friends, Taco Beer, and Endless Shrimp

I made many poor food choices yesterday. Namely, a beer that tasted like tacos and endless shrimp at Red Lobster.

The taco beer was very tasty, but it was very acidic. How can a beer even contain beef?! There was a note in the menu to let everyone know it contains beef. North Country Brewing in Slippery Rock needs to reveal their secrets. I can't imagine eating it with anything other than a burrito. I had a veggie burrito paired with a beef beer. Lovely start.

It was my first time to Endless Shrimp at Red Lobster. I don't even know the last time I was at a Red Lobster - let alone guzzling shrimp. I had 76. How does RL even make money off that? 76 shrimp when the cost was $17.99 is insane. I didn't even win the shrimp battle!

Pictured: poor life choices and great friend choices

Why did I make these kinds of life choices? I saw a lot of old friends.

Two people I hadn't seen in a very long time came into town. I have had the same base group of friends since freshman year at college. We all met at Duquesne in the Honors College basically the first week of school. Duquesne has a very serious freshman orientation - while most college I have heard of have a day or so of orientation, Duquesne goes from Wednesday to Sunday. Their message is you will make friends and you will like it.

I wasn't sure if I was going to sign up for the Honors College when I got the information for it from Duquesne. I barely made it in honestly. One of the criteria was a 1300 on your SAT - luckily for me, they took the top two scores from math and reading (or whatever the old SAT was...seemed so important at the time and now I can't even remember). I wondered if I was really going to get a "college" experience - whatever the hell that is - if I was in an Honors dorm. I am not 100% sure what I pictured, but it definitely didn't turn out that way.

The people I met in the Honors College are people that I would call on in a crisis even if we haven't talked in a while (and definitely have done that). They're people who know so much about me that if I ever run for office I would be in trouble. Or have a hell of a team. Six of us went on a vacation to Vegas in January, and we are planning to do another vacation next year. I am taking some of my funemployment time to go to NYC for no reason other than hanging out.

I didn't love Duquesne itself. I'm dubious of the degree that I put myself into so much debt for. I don't for a single second regret the friendships I made there.

They are people I drink taco beer and eat Endless Shrimp for.

Note: both of the above were 100% my choice. I only mostly regret both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment