Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Ranting on Job Applications

Some days I feel like all I do is apply to jobs. I get in a rhythm on Indeed or LinkedIn or whatever site I manage to find myself on, and I don't want to stop til I get to the last page. Inevitably a few pages in, I realize I didn't bring my Fire in with me to play Pandora. Which turns into an internal conflict over if I should break my rhythm to go get it. I usually say "after this application" and then forget. Oh, and I do mean "say." I am straight up talking to (and answering) myself now. So I end up sitting on a computer with silence all around me giving me oh so much time to think about how frustrating this process is!

Why is it that so many jobs seem to be a minimum wage paying job that requires you to work every single weekend and have 10 years of experience? Like...if the words "entry level" appear in your ad, let's not pretend you need tons of experience for it. I have literally seen ads that say you need 5 years experience in a professional setting. Where exactly are people supposed to be getting this?!

I continue to hate cover letters. Until it becomes acceptable to write "please hire me because I need money and you need a people" I will hate them. They're so artificial and weird. I never know what to say. All the samples I look at it are awkward too. No one appears to be good at it.


Let's say this works out - you have the 25 years' experience for a call center job, and they liked your cover letter where you talked about your hard work, dedication, and how you absolutely love every single person you have ever worked with. Do you know how many scam jobs there are?

A lot. Especially when you start talking about Marketing. For some reason, Marketing tends to mean cold calling or literally knocking on doors to sell people stuff they don't want. Luckily the internet exists, so I haven't been falling for any of those jobs. I got a call from a place that saw my resume. When I tried to call them back, they had a generic voicemail. Then their website was gone. Right. Normal. In addition to trying to find a job, you have to find one that's real.

I know that getting used to constant rejection is an excellent life skill.  I'm sure there is something I should be learning from cover letters to (I'm thinking that it might be that sometimes people will make you jump through hoops to make sure you read instructions). Being able to tell the difference between things that are legit and scams definitely comes in handy. These are things which will serve me well once I find a job. I need to be zen about it.

Until that time, I'll be over here...screaming internally.

2 comments:

  1. Being unemployed can be rough! I'm right in the middle of a stretch of it right now. I lost my job recently, and it has been nothing but applying for job after job every day with no luck. Some people say it's easy to find a job, but without knowing where to look for one it can be a huge pain in the rear end!

    Joey @ Amerika Link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even knowing where to look doesn't help. All the entry level jobs seem to require 5 years' experience!

      Delete