Thursday, March 23, 2017

6 Months Funemployment Anniversary!

Today officially marks six months of funemployment.

I'm starting to write this at 1210pm, and I think I was actually already home on that day. It was a Friday, and I was lucky that my husband was off work so I didn't have to sit at home alone (although he did stay playing his video game with his brother and didn't talk to me until a bit later. Hm). Firing someone on a Friday isn't actually a very good strategy. When you fire someone on a Friday, it's hard to access social services until the weekend is over.

Day 1 of Funemployment
I have this theory that the plan was to actually fire me on Thursday, but I screwed it up. We had a meeting on the Thursday that was scheduled to be half an hour. It ran almost two hours. I took my lunch at 1pm normally, and the meeting had started at 12. I should have known better, but whatever. By the time the meeting was over, it didn't make sense to me to take a lunch. I would have been on lunch from 2-3 and then leaving at 4. I decided that I worked through lunch and that I would leave at 3pm. The woman who sat next to me told me that the VP stopped by my desk after I left and looked mad that I left early. Going over everything in my head, I think they wanted to tell me they were eliminating my position Thursday afternoon, but I left before they could do it. I like to think that I messed up their plan for me to leave at the end of the day (when maybe people wouldn't really notice) and instead make a grand exit on Friday afternoon.

So what have I learned being out of the workforce for the last six months?

1. Not working is awesome. Like...seriously amazing. I get up when I want, go to bed when I want, and don't have to answer to anyone.
2. It's kinda terrifying. The longer I have been funemployed, the longer I wonder if anyone is ever going to hire me again. Like...are employers going to look at this gap and think "Quetzalcoatl, she couldn't even do retail or something?!"
Me today. I think I'm much happier
3. I'm way better at yoga than I thought! Going to daytime classes where I was sometimes the only person there (and the most I ever had with me were 5 other people) really gave me time to work on things I hadn't tried before. If you're looking for somewhere to practice, I adore YogaLove!
4. No more staying in toxic environments. I didn't realize quite how stressed and anxious I was until all of a sudden I wasn't! I can't be a frog in boiling water again.

No comments:

Post a Comment