Monday, November 14, 2016

Continuing Job Applications

It's a good thing that I generally think highly of myself because looking for a job is an exercise in almost constant rejection. Plus the isolation.

I have applied to a bunch of jobs online, had phone interviews, gone to job fairs, and had two in-person interviews at the same place. It's basically become a cycle of rejection emails and radio silence.

Not to get too much into the election (in this post anyway), but I 100% agree with all the posts saying that, after someone with no political or government experience can be elected, I don't want to see all these crazy qualifications to apply to something. Like, something will be listed as a Marketing Assistant, but they want like 7 years of experience for it. On occasion, I do apply to these jobs anyway (because I have nothing to lose at this point), but it is frustrating.

I frequently wish that I would have majored in something that translated directly to a career. I had a lot of fun at Duquesne, but this is almost creating an existential crisis. I mean - I am really not qualified to do anything. So many postings say that they want a business major or a communications major or something else specific for a general sounding customer service position. Even my experience in insurance doesn't seem to be helping.

Once I start thinking about that, my brain just keeps going on that path. I end up thinking about all the choices I made in my life that led me to be unemployed right now. I should have majored in something else, I shouldn't have worked at CBC, I shouldn't have left CBC, I shouldn't have started at QBE, I shouldn't have left QBE, I shouldn't have started at TJS, I shouldn't have left the front desk, I shouldn't have left benefits, I should have done something else. Each little thought builds on the last one until I basically want to do nothing but stay in bed and drink wine. I'm not sure how I would lay in bed and drink at the same time, but I am a problem solver!

I realistically know it is a low level of anxiety - being realistic is hard! When most of the people you know are working (special shout out to my other funemployed friends! <3), and you are sitting at home, it's hard. I have done the best I can, and as long as I keep trying, there is nothing more that I can be doing.

Hm...what started out as a post about how my self esteem is really good for all these rejections turned into how anxious not having a job is making me. Things change so quickly here!

No comments:

Post a Comment