Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Funemployment Fun!

Today I had to go to the PREP orientation for my funemployment benefits (not related to the HIV prevention drug). So many issues with this.

The letter I received said this was my second notice. Def didn't get a first one. I have kept all my paperwork in the same folder, and there is nothing in there. Once or is the second notice, you cannot reschedule. If you don't go, you cannot collect benefits that week. If you have a good excuse, you can appeal. They said a second letter is always sent. Maybe they should look into how they are sending the first one?

There is no way to find out what this entails. I kept Googling it, but I could not find any info. I tried emailing to try more info and was simply given the timeframe of the session. I didn't even know what, if anything, I needed to bring! The email reply didn't even give me that. Spoiler alert: you don't need anything. Why is there no overview of this online?!

This is an overview session for all skill levels. Honestly, it seemed like it was geared towards people who need more help than I do. There was a whole page in the paperwork asking about any social services (like Medicare or SNAP) I am on, if I needed info on any of them, and did I have issues with the English language. I fully understand that there are people who need this and I am all about people getting the help they need, but it doesn't make sense to me to have everyone in the same group then. There was a sign about computer sessions; first one was about how to capitalize and delete, second was about how to open a file.

My one on one was less than five minutes (including chat about holidays). I was told that I would find something with my skills and education. So why did I even have to go? What was the point of making me sit through something they believed was below my skillset?

Careerlink is definitely a worthwhile program. It can seriously help those who need it. But someone needs to look at the criteria to make the best use of the limited resources they have.

(Side note: I went to yoga yesterday so I am already tackling my goals of more blogging and more yoga!)

No comments:

Post a Comment